Northland Trades & Apprenticeships
Interested in getting into a career in the trades in Northeast Minnesota? Local website 218Trades.com contains information and resources on the many opportunities in this field, including how to become a:
- Cement Mason
- Elevator Constructor
- Iron Worker
- Painter / Glazer
- Plumber / Pipefitter
These and more trades are in extremely high demand across Northeast Minnesota, with many apprenticeship and career opportunities throughout the Iron Range area and along the North Shore of Lake Superior.
For perspective, here are some stats from 218Trades:
- $41,000 starting median salary for entry level positions
- Construction careers provide an average starting wage of $55,896, which is $14,000 higher than the average salary in the region
- The median wage for construction careers is $27.26 an hour, compared to the $17.25 an hour median wage for all Northeast Minnesota occupations
- Many experienced workers in the construction industry earn well over $100,000 a year along with excellent benefits
- The typical apprenticeship combines an average of 144 hours of classroom instruction with over 2,000 hours of on-the-job training and earn-as-you-learn experience
- Minnesota is expected to add over 10,000 new construction jobs in the next decade
218Trades is your gateway to apprenticeships and skilled trade career opportunities in Northeast Minnesota. The website offers a directory of links to the following resources for those interested in a career in the trades:
- Union Apprenticeship Programs
- School Options and Educational Pathways
- Employment Information & Jobseeker Resources
“218Trades can help clarify the steps to start or continue a career in the trades, from receiving world-class training that will allow you to help build your community, to earning excellent wages and benefits packages,” shares Dave Cook, JET Career Counselor and 218Trades Team Lead.
Northland employers looking to hire skilled workers in the trades can benefit from the following information and resources from 218Trades:
- Tips for hiring and retaining a multigenerational workforce
- Hiring and recruitment resources and assistance available through the Northeast Minnesota Office of Job Training and CareerForce, including the On-The-Job Training Program and the Talent Development Program which help pay for training
- More opportunities to get involved with industry events and network with skilled jobseekers and apprentices in the trades
For more information on 218Trades, you can contact JET Career Counselor and 218Trades Team Lead Dave Cook by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 218-623-5972, or check out 218Trades on Facebook #workhereplayherestayhere
Visit 218Trades.com for more info! Browse current openings in the trades here.
Coordinated by the Northeast Minnesota Office of Job Training (JET), 218Trades is sponsored by a number of regional partners including the Iron Range Resources & Rehabilitation Board, the Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce, and Minnesota North College Mesabi Range Virginia. All of these partners are also great resources for anyone looking to enter the trades or learn more.